Sunday, December 5, 2010

Tragedy at 4175

So today a very bad thing happened....I accidentally poured one of our goldfish down the drain! I was unable to save him. He had a premature funeral.

You probably didn't even know that we had fish. Well, we had 2 fancy goldfish for about a month. We got them for one of Blake's Young Life games. The kids thought they were going to be drinking water with goldfish, but obviously it was a trick because I have kept them as pets. When we bought them, I didn't really think of what to do with them after the game. They only cost $3 a piece but they are living creatures and so I couldn't just flush them....(seems like that what I ended up doing anyway). So I have been caring for them in a pitcher until this weekend when we picked up a fish tank that Blake's parents had.

Finally they had a real home! And then tragedy struck. I was trying to pour out the extra water from the pitcher to transfer them to their palace of a tank when one began to swim the wrong way and swam with the water being poured out! I saw him wriggle for a half a second in the sink before he was lost forever.

Well, I shed half a tear and then I put the remaining fish in the tank. I could tell he was lonely and broken hearted but I had to leave him to go to church. (As you can tell, to me, all fish are boys.) When I got back home 6 hrs later (church doesn't last that long, I had other things to do, including buy a new filter and more fishy friends), the goldfish was dead....Don't know what happened, maybe I shocked him in so much new water.

Well now we have 2 goldfish, but they are not the original 2. I always wanted fish, and I really hope these last. One has been hanging out on the bottom next to the glass and I'm afraid he's trying to kick it. I cheer for him "swim fishy, swim for your life!" Blake thinks I'm stupid. So far I have spent about 25 bucks on my fish project, which I think is pretty good. 4 fish, some food, and a filter - so if they end up dying it won't be the end of the world. I just can't believe I kept two fish alive for a month in a TEA PITCHER, and I can't keep them alive for one day in a tank.


These are the new fish in their shiny new tank, they are white with red heads
which would have looked really good with 2 totally orange goldfish...
SWIM fishy, Swim for your LIFE

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erin! I have enjoyed keeping up with you through your blog. I really enjoyed this article and even read it to Byron on the phone! Byron & I had some goldfish that we got for free after a church event, and they ended up being quite expensive since we had to buy the tank! I hope your fish do well, we enjoyed ours!

    ReplyDelete