Monday, June 21, 2010

My 2 Favorite Questions

So I am 1 week from becoming a 4th year medical student! For the past year I have been doing my rotations. I'm finishing up my Ob/Gyn rotation at home in LaGrange. This past week I got to be present for the delivery of twins! I had been looking forward to the coming of these twins for weeks. I had seen the mom in the office several times and when I got to the hospital I introduced myself to the rest of the family.

I went through my typical spill, "Hi, I'm Erin, I'm a Medical student, I've been working with Dr. Bowie and I'm going to be here for the delivery." blah blah. Right after I say this the mom looks at me and says, "and you're 18." I feel a confused expression come over my face. "Huh." "You're 18 right?" More confusion. "Years old. No. I'm 25."

After this everyone starts to laugh and they look at the nurse who also has the gift of looking younger than she is and I can tell they've had this conversation already. Someone makes a joke about how there must be special water at the hospital or something. I wasn't so amused by the situation. I get this a lot, but not usually 18. I wouldn't mind looking 22, but at least a number in the same decade - come on.

Not 2 minutes later I get my other favorite question, which probably surpasses the age. A family member starts a conversation and asks, "Did you say you were going to be an LPN or and RN?" I smile and reply, "No no, I'm going to be an MD, a physician." Then I get a surprised look and "Ooooh."

I also get this question quite often and every time it happens I wait for the pissed off feeling to come over me....but it just doesn't come. I think it's because,
1) I totally respect nurses and don't mind being compared to them. I definitely couldn't do their job and I think they are awesome.
2) It just amuses me that the stereotype is still so strong. That because I am female I must be a nurse.
3) It shows that people are totally clueless. It's not their fault. They don't connect "medical school", white coat with your name and title printed on it, stetoscope, etc. to....not nurse. It really is hard to understand the system when you're on the outside.

Anyway, after I clarified these two burning questions, I was able to catch two healthy, beautiful twin boys and it was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment